Saturday, December 15, 2012

Mono = Cancer ... Right??

Okay, so I will just tell you LOGICALLY I know this is wrong. However, in my world it is totally how my brain works. I have been battling something for a bit now. Last Saturday until Tuesday I was sure it was just allergies. By Wednesday, the burning in my throat started, and I thought hmm maybe not.

Thursday morning, I went to get checked. Strep culture came back negative, but the Dr. looked at my throat and took another culture to send to the lab. She started me on antibiotics and steroids. She also asked me to come back on Friday, to double check my throat and make sure it wasn't so swollen that it was blocking my airways. My daughter, joked with me, Mom guess what now you get a steroid week, you are gonna be hungry and cranky!!!

Friday morning I went back to the Dr., he started me on rocephin and did a test for mono. I know this is probably routine for most of you. However, this is the exact same routine we went through almost 2 years ago with my daughter and she didn't have mono she had cancer!! I texted my husband and said they are testing me for mono... he called me back and said that doesn't mean you have cancer right?? I can laugh about it now. The truth is though.. I found myself praying for mono again. The Dr. came back and let me know it wasn't mono and to keep taking my antibiotics and steroids, and my counts were fine. This was a huge sigh of relief and I am glad that the Dr. had the brains to tell me this! (BTW same Dr. who kept following my daughter and allowed her DX as quick as it was)

So yes LOGICALLY Mono does not equal cancer, but in our crazy world it just might.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a cancer mom, but I can only assume this is a natural way for your mind to work after all you have come to know. I'm glad you're cancer free, and mono free too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete